Lilypie <

Sunday, January 31, 2010


We had breakfast in the Guest House and it was good. There’s plenty to choose from and we really enjoyed the cheese omelete and pineapple juice. Yum! Katie decided to go to church with another family and Pat and I went to Debre Birhan. It’s about 70 miles away, I think, but it took us 3 hours to get there. It was a wonderful day and I’m so glad that I went. I saw so much that it’s really hard to get it all down. The countryside was beautiful and here's some of the pictures I took.


Once we got to Debre Birhan, we went to the orphanage where Zoie was for a short time before being transferred to the Addis Kids Care location. Although I was glad that I visited, it just made me sad. It's just like a small house with a living area and a baby room.

It's bare, I saw no toys and there was nothing really warm about it at all. There are about 7-10 kids there currently and no babies.
The baby room was just cribs and I believe the older kids sleep in another small building in the back. One family handed the kids each a banana and the kids ate them right away. The kids seemed fine, but they wore clothes that didn't fit, some had shoes on the wrong feet, etc. It was depressing. The ladies there were working hard, one was doing laundry in a tub in the back and the other was working in the kitchen (or what we would call a tiny room with a table and a burner.)



The good news is that we went to a building that is under construction and will be the new orphanage as well as clinic and school.
It's a mansion compared to the current one and I belive the kids will be transferred to the new place if they haven't been adopted by then.

I was not able to get any more info. on Zoie. It's been months since she was there and I don't believe she was there very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment